We had so much fun contributing a live intuitive painting studio for BEYOND MEASURE the theme for this year’s TEDxAustin on February 11th at The Austin Music Hall. Attendees were invited to paint in between the TED talks that have been curated on ‘ideas worth spreading’.
Naturally we felt like we fit right in! And since there were over 500 attendees and only 15 painting stations in our live studio… we had to transform the intuitive painting
experience to integrate with the event. How would we give people that meditative quiet that folks receive at Fire Tree Studios at such a boisterous event? We had life size easels designed by Nathan Shepard and built by David Fudge. Valerie suggested earplugs and I thought it was a brilliant idea. A great way to support people to go within and listening to their intuition and take action! We gave painters 10 minutes with colorful sand timers to ponder such catalytic questions such as…
- Paint your story without using words?
- Paint a self portrait
- Use colors you don’t like
- use only colors you are drawn to
- Paint your feelings
- Paint a scribble feeling
- Paint chaos
- What keeps you from acting on your vision? What does this fear/resistance look like? paint it.
With a quick run down on the process that intuitive painting is the experience from painting from pure inspiration, energy, inner guidance knowing and instinct. it is the process of removing all distraction to listen to that which lies within to guide your experience as you tap into the creative unknown therefore bringing the formless into form.
Our experiment was a hit! We must have had at least 100 painters come through the live studio. After painting the attendees were invited to come back and pick up their paintings and had questions to further mine their creative process. Here were some of the post-experience options and ideas for unleashing more imagination at home…
- Take a look at your painting and write what you see
- Create a story about your painting
- Write a poem about your painting
- How does your painting make you feel? Write it out
- Is there an image or a color you feel drawn to in your painting? Give it a voice? What does it have to tell you? Write it out. Let it speak to you.
- What did you notice about yourself? Your experience?
- Any insights or breakthrough discovered before of after painting?
- How has this experience opened up your perception to expand your vision of what is possible?
- What feels remarkable …beyond measure?
I personally enjoyed being inspired by all the talks that day and especially talking to all the amazing people who inspire innovation and are creating breakthroughs for all of us by their contribution. It was a delight to share with this audience how painting can be a powerful tool to inspire action that is aligned with our hearts and higher minds.
I want to thank all the amazing producers of this event, especially Romy Suskin who invited us to play! And to my extraordinary team Sara Hufford and Valerie Guettler who are themselves…remarkable beyond measure. Thank you!
with love, peace and creativity,
So WHAT Are YOU waiting for…..?
GET YOUR PAINT ON!
THIS Weekend with the Winter Intuitive Painting Retreat:
(Friday evening at 6:30pm-Sunday evening at 5pm).
This weekend painting immersion is a great way to submerge yourself in your creative process and deepen your relationship to your intuitive voice and dialogue with your most powerful vision. Join other creative explorers in a nurturing and supportive environment that supports the awakening of your inner wisdom and true creative voice.
Come spend a full weekend all for you…to revive, self-nurture and reclaim forgotten vitality and passion! We will begin each morning grounding in movement and waking up the body. Space is available for 12 painters. For out of town guests, the historic Adam’s House a lovely Hyde Park B&B is located within walking distance of the studio as well as the Hyde Park Inn.
- all materials and complimentary Hill Country Spring water + tea
- over 20 hours of painting process & guidance
- teachings on the creative process
- morning movement to get the creative juices flowing
- 3 delicious organic, gourmet & local meals: Saturday lunch & dinner and Sunday lunch catered by amazing local chef, Meg Schwartz of Spoon & Co
- Massages available for a additional investment
Investment: For the entire weekend $600/ person. Includes all materials, meals and complimentary Hill Country Spring Water & tea. Beginners welcome!